Sunday, December 23, 2007

My Kitchen Smells Like Vomit.... and other tales of living through a remodel

It's true: walk by my kitchen and there is the unmistakable aroma of human bile. Makes me sick. Wanna know why it smells like that? The dudes putting in my new windows accidentally knocked out some of the tiles on the sink backsplash, exposing mortar that smells like ~ you guessed it ~ puke! I never knew! Good thing I didn't have that same tile in my bedroom or I'd really be annoyed ~ got the new bedroom window installed the day before the kitchen one.

I'm also getting a new roof. The roofers were awesome enough to accidentally break one of my ceiling-high windows in the living room..... shattering glass all over my couch. The ceiling in my living room is about a story and a half high and the ceiling in the dining room is regular height, so there are windows lining the wall between the dining room ceiling and the living room ceiling. Five of 'em to be exact. Anyway, I got the couch cleaned of all the shards of glass and the construction foreman came in and vacuumed everywhere. Fast forward to the next day: BAM! The breaking of another window..... Repeat scene from the day before. This was a worse break, though, so I had to throw away my velvet pillows as they had now become velvet-glass pillows.

There's a fine layer of dust everywhere, which is manageable. Plastic is covering most of my windows ~ either covering from the outside or the inside ~ depends on when said window will be replaced.

I no longer have curtains in my bedroom because the sill size has been increased and the blinds that had been there do not fit anymore. What makes this situation all the more awesome is that I have scaffolding right outside my window. Mon-Sat I wake up to Julio and Roberto walking around outside my bedroom window. At least they won't be back until Thursday so I am going to install a makeshift curtain and not worry about these hired peeping Toms. The question is: should I wait until Wednesday so as not to have to compete with the last minute holiday shoppers? Or fend for myself and just get it done today? I'm sure the answer is that I'll do it today..... we'll see.

My spoiled cats used to have their own bedroom as I didn't really use the spare bedroom for much. Now, however, there are holes in the wall and missing panels where a curious kitty could easily dive into and explore. Oooh, so many exposed cables and wires to check out! So, that door remains closed and the cats and I are forced to co-exist in a 1 bedroom place. I know ~ life is tough! Actually, it's not bad. I'd rather them be safe than continue to use a vacant huge room for a couple of cat boxes. This was an easy adjustment.

In all honesty, living through a remodel isn't optimal, but my place is going to be AMAZING when it's finished, so this is proving to be yet another practice of patience. I'm up for it. Deep breath.... (Ouch! Dust in the lungs!) ;)

No comments: